CARE Gender Marker
CARE International is committed to achieving gender equality and empowerment for women and girls through their humanitarian and development programming using the Gender Equality (GE) approach. The CARE Gender Marker is one of the key tools that supports the implementation of GE Approach.
The CARE Gender Marker, released in 2016 and last revised in 2021, helps the organisation to deliver on this commitment, and to continuously improve programming to better meet the needs of women, men, boys, and girls. CARE’s Gender Marker is a self-assessment program quality and learning tool. It measures the integration of gender into programming along the CARE Gender Continuum from harmful to transformative. The Gender Marker enables CARE to track, improve on, and support more effective, gender integrated programming. The Gender Marker is designed to be used in combination with Monitoring, Evaluation and Accountability systems to help teams reflect on the integration of gender in order to learn from and improve the gendered approach of their work.
For more details see:
Gender Marker Guidance
Based on inputs and feedback from across the CARE federation, a revised/new set of Gender Marker Guidance has been developed (French; Arabic; Spanish). This guidance is designed to support CARE teams to use the Gender Marker for learning and improved programming. It includes guiding questions and practical tips for each step.
Gender Marker Mini-Guides
Gender Marker Mini-Guides are a new series of guidance designed to support teams to: understand and un-pack the criteria; access guidance for what these criteria look like in practice; read case examples (pulling from real CARE projects) demonstrating how the criteria has been met (or not).
The Gender Marker Mini-Guides have been developed for each of the four sub-domains of the Gender Marker:
- CARE gender marker advocacy tip sheet 2020
- CARE gender marker adolescent tip sheet (2021)
- CARE Gender Marker vetting form
- Formulario de verificación del marcador de género de CARE
- Hoja de sugerencias sobre el Marcador de género para los programas con adolescentes (2021)
- Enquete CARE: le marquer genre
- Fiche de conseils sur le marqueur de genre pour les programmes destinés aux adolescents (2021)
- استامرة فحص مؤرش النوع االجتامعي الخاص بهيئة كري
- بالنسبة لبرامج المراهقينورقة تلميحات مؤشر المساواة بين الجنسين
- Formulário de verificação de marcador de gênero de CARE
To be used alongside the vetting form, a series of case studies of projects scored as gender transformative to illustrate how these projects navigated each consideration of the CARE Gender Marker:
- Win-Win Project (Burundi), a food and nutrition security, and agriculture project
- Souquona Project (Palestine), a dairy value chains project
- CARE Gender Marker case studies and lessons learned
- CARE Gender Marker Visualization Platform
- CARE Gender Marker pilot exercise (2015)
Do you want to access training on how to use the CARE Gender Marker? A complete set of training materials are available below. This includes session plan for running your own CARE Gender Marker training including a presentation and training exercise.